Document Type : Original Article
Associate Professor, Allameh Tabataba’i University.
The aim of this study was to investigate the strategic alignment of business and information technology using Luftman model and ITIL best practice, and since the study of this alignment requires an in-depth study of an industry or an organization, one of the Iranian defensive organizations (in standardization and information technology field) has been selected as the case study. In the first stage, the existence of IT strategy was assessed. Secondly, the degree of alignment of IT strategy with business strategy was assessed. The results showed that the IT strategy in the studied organization is on average 66.26 percent, which indicates the relative and acceptable ability of the organization to define IT strategy. Then, after analyzing the strategic alignment of IT and organization, it was found that the alignment degree of these organizations is generally above average. The results showed the lowest average in the area of business infrastructure and the highest average in the business infrastructure area. It is recommended that similar organizations use the ITIL V4 to assess and align the organization's strategies with the IT strategies.
- Abbasi, A., Askarifar, K., & Sayyahfar, M. (2019). Presenting a Sustainable Value Chain Model Based on Porter's Framework Development and Balanced Scorecard (Case Study: PREMIUMBOND Company). Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 9(1), 141-167 (in Persian).
- Aversano, L., Grasso, C., & Tortorella, M. (2016). Managing the Alignment Between Business Processes and Software Systems. Information and Software Technology, 72, 171-188.
- Avison, D., Jones, J., Powell, P., & Wilson, D. (2004). Using and validating the strategic alignment model. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 13(3), 223–246.
- Axelos. (2019). ITIL 4 Foundation. London: The Stationery Office.
- Bagheri, S., Kusters, R. J., Trienekens, J. J. M., & Grefen, P. W. P. J. (2019). Business-IT alignment improvement in co-creation value networks: design of a reference model-based support. In W. Abramowicz, & A. Paschke (editors), Business Information Systems Workshops - BIS 2018 International Workshops, Revised Papers (blz. 143–155). (Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing; Vol. 339). Springer Nature Switzerland AG.
- Benbya, H., & McKelvey, B. (2006), “Using coevolutionary and complexity theories to improve IS alignment: a multi-Level approach”. Journal of Information Technology, 21(4), 284-298.
- Bharadwaj, A., El Sawy, O., Pavlou, P., & Venkatramm, N. (2013). Digital Business Strategy: Toward a Next Generation of Insights. MIS Quarterly, 37(2), 471-482.
- Bradley, R.V., Pratt, R.M.E., Byrd, T.A., Outlay, C.N., & Wynn, D.E.Jr. (2012). Enterprise architecture, IT effectiveness and the mediating role of IT alignment in US hospitals. Information Systems Journal, 22(2), 97–127.
- Coltman, T., Tallon, P., Sharma, R., & Queiroz, M. (2015). Strategic IT alignment: Twenty-five years on. Journal of Information Technology, 30(2), 91–100.
- Doumi, K. (2019). Evolution of Business IT Alignment: Gap Analysis. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 14, 1211-1218.
- Gajardo, P.A., & La Paz, A.I. (2019). Measuring the strategic business and IT alignment in a digitally revolutionized economy. AMCIS.
- Gerow, J.E., Thatcher, J.B., & Grover, V. (2015). Six types of IT-business strategic alignment: An investigation of the constructs and their measurement. European Journal of Information Systems, 24(5), 465–491.
- Hinojosa, N. J. & Gutiérrez-de-Mesa, J. A. (2016). Literature review of the situation research faces in the application of ITIL in Small and Medium Enterprises. Computer Standards & Interfaces, 48, 124-138.
- Ilmudeen, A., Bao, Y., & Alharbi, I.M. (2019). How does business-IT strategic alignment dimension impact on organizational performance measures. J. Enterprise Inf. Management, 32, 457-476.
- ItSMF. (2011). An introductory overview of ITIL 2011. ItSMF. UK.
- Kahre, C., Hoffmann, D., & Ahlemann, F. (2017). Beyond Business-IT Alignment - Digital Business Strategies as a Paradigmatic Shift: A Review and Research Agenda. 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, (págs. 4706-4715). Hawaii.
- Luftman, J., & Brier, T. (1999). Achieving and sustaining business-IT alignment. California Management Review, 42(1), 109–122.
- Luftman, J., Lyytinen, K., & Ben-Zvi, T. (2015). Enhancing the Measurement of Information Technology (IT) Business Alignment and its Influence on Company performance. Journal of Information Technology, S.V., 1-21.
- Luftman, J., Zadeh, H.S., Derksen, B., Santana, M., Rigoni, E.H., & Huang, Z.D. (2013). Key information technology and management issues 2012–2013: An international study. Journal of Information Technology, 28(4), 354–366.
- McNaughton, B., Ray, P., & Lewis, L. (2010). Designing an evaluation framework for IT service management. Information & Management, 47(4), 219–225.
- Miyamoto, M. (2019). IT-Business Alignments among Different Divisions of Japanese Corporations. 2019 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Information and Communication (ICAIIC), 311-315.
- Oh, W., & Pinsonneault, A. (2007). On the Assessment of the Strategic Value of Information Technologies: Conceptual and Analytical Approaches. Management Information Systems Quarterly, 31(2), 239–265.
- Panda, S. & Rath, S. (2018). Strategic IT-Business Alignment and Organizational Agility: from a developing country perspective. Journal of Asia Business Studies, 12(4), 422-440.
- Preston, D. S., & Karahanna, E. (2009). Antecedents of IS strategic alignment: A nomological network. Information Systems Research, 20(2), 159–179.
- Ravishankar, M. N., Pan, S. L., & Leidner, D. E. (2011). Examining the strategic alignment and implementation success of a KMS: A subculture-based multilevel analysis. Information Systems Research, 22(1), 39–59.
- Sabherwal, R., & Chan, Y.E. (2001). Alignment between business and IS strategies: A study of prospectors, analyzers, and defenders. Information Systems Research, 12(1), 11–33.
- Sabherwal, R., Hirschheim, R., & Goles, T. (2001). The dynamics of alignment: Insights from a punctuated equilibrium model. Organization Science, 12(2), 179–197.
- Salari Sharif, P. (2006). Investigating the Alignment of Information Technology and Business. Master Thesis, Allameh Tabataba’i University (in Persian).
- Tallon, P. P., & Pinsonneault, A. (2011). Competing perspectives on the link between strategic information technology alignment and organizational agility: Insights from a mediation model. Management Information Systems Quarterly, 35(2), 463–486.
- Tejada-Malaspina, M., & Jan, A. (2019). An Intangible-Asset Approach to Strategic Business-IT Alignment. Systems, 7, 17.
- Ullah, A., & Lai, R. (2013). A systematic review of business and information technology alignment. ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 4(1), 4–30.
- Vaghefzadeh, M.H. & Karimi, B. (2018). Demand Management Using Self-Regression Time Series Models in the Context of Value-Added Mobile Services. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(2), 9-30 (in Persian).
- Venkatraman, N. (2017). The Digital Matrix. Canada: LifeTree Media Book.
- Venkatraman, N., Henderson, J. C., & Oldach, S.H. (1993). Continuous strategic alignment: Exploiting information technology capabilities for competitive success. European Management Journal, 11(2), 139-149.
- Wu, S. P. J., Straub, D. W., & Liang, T.P. (2015). How information technology governance mechanisms and strategic alignment influence organizational performance: Insights from a matched survey of business and IT managers.Management Information Systems Quarterly, 39(2),497–518.
- Yayla, A.A., & Hu, Q. (2012). The impact of IT-business strategic alignment on firm performance in a developing country setting: Exploring moderating roles of environmental uncertainty and strategic orientation. European Journal of Information Systems, 21(4), 373–387.
- Zare Mirakabad, A., Niazi, I, & Salehi, S. (2011). Future Studies of Key Technologies in Iran's ICT Industry with Emphasis on Identifying Business Models. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 4(1), 107-130 (in Persian).
- Zhang, M., Chen, H., & Liu, J. (2019). Resource allocation approach to associate business-IT alignment to enterprise architecture design. Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, 30(2), 343–351.