Document Type : Original Article
Lecturer, University of Eyvanekey, Garmsar.
M.A., University of Eyvanekey, Garmsar.
Professor, University of Eyvanekey, Garmsar.
Iran's construction industry has faced some problems in recent years, including rework, high costs and design errors. Engineers in this field have always emphasized the use of modern methods of building modern technologies and technologies to improve quality, reduce time, cost and increase productivity. One of these technologies is building information modeling technology, which has been very difficult to adopt and implement in this country. The purpose of this research is to present a systemic and holistic model to analyze the dynamics of adoption and implementation of this technology in Iran. For this purpose, a hybrid research method is designed, so that in the first phase using the grounded theory, a conceptual model of technology adoption is presented, and then using a system dynamics approach, a quantitative mathematical model with simulated decision consequences is presented. Four policies under the scenarios were implemented on the model. The results show that government support consisting of a set of measures is the most efficient solution to develop adoption and implementation of this technology.
- Alvani, S. M., Danaeifard, H., Azar, A. (2016). Qualitative Research Methodology: A Comprehensive Approach. Saffar Press. Tehran (in Persian).
- Bastan, M., Shakouri G., H. (2019). Model-Based Assessment of Energy Dependency Policies: A System Dynamics Approach. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 9(2), 81-106 (in Persian).
- Bastan, M., Abbasi, E., Ahamadvand, A., Ramazani K, R. (2018). A Simulation Model of Mobile Banking Acceptance by Bank Customers Using the System Dynamics Approach. Industrial Management Studies, 16(50), 257-284. Doi: 10.22054/jims.2018.9113 (in Persian).
- Bastan, M., Zadfallah, E., Ahmadvand, A. (2019). Modeling Evaluation of Clinical Risk Management Policies. Journal of Strategic Management Studies, 10(38), 69-97 (in Persian).
- Bastan, M., Azizi, L., Grösser, S., Sheikhahmadi, F., (2018). Analysis of Development Policies in Occupational Health and Safety Management System: A System Dynamics Approach. The 2nd IEOM European International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Paris, France.
- Bank, L., McCarthy, M., Thompson, P., Menassa, C. (2010). Integrating BIM with system dynamics as a decision-making framework for sustainable building design and operation. The First International Conference on Sustainable Urbanization (ICSU 2010), Hong Kong, China.
- Bui, N., Merschbrock, C., Munkvold, E. (2016). A review of Building Information Modelling for construction in developing countries. Procedia Engineering, 164, 487-494.
- Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran (2017). Review of Economic Trends, Report of Economic investigation Office, Tehran, Iran (in Persian).
- Chritamara, S., Ogunlana, O., Bach, I. (2002). System dynamics modeling of design and build construction projects. Construction Innovation. 2(4), 269-295.
- Eadie, R., Browne, M., Odeyinka, H., McKeown, C., McNiff, S. (2013). Throughout the UK BIM implementation construction project lifecycle: An analysis. Automation in Construction, 36, 145-151.
- Eastman, M., Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R., Liston, K. (2011). BIM handbook: A guide to building information modeling for owners, managers, designers, engineers and contractors: John Wiley & Sons.
- Gal, U., Jensen, T. (2008). Organisational identity and the appropriation of information systems. International Conference on Information System (ICIS 2008), Paris, France.
- Gao, G., Guan, C. (2016). Adoption of the Building Information Modeling (BIM) for construction project effectiveness: The review of BIM benefits. American Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 4(3), 74-79.
- Golabchi, K., Nourzaei, E., Golabchi, A., Gharouni Jafari, K. (2016). Building Information Modeling, University of Tehran Press, (in Persian).
- Homayounfar, M., Nahavandi, B., Golbazzadeh, P. (2018). Designing a Dynamic Model for New Product Development by Emphasizing on Bass Diffusion Theory. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(1), 137-162 (in Persian).
- Hosseini M., Azari, E., Tivendale, L., Banihashemi, S., Chileshe, N. (2016). Building Information Modeling (BIM) in Iran: an exploratory study. Journal of engineering, project, and production management, 6(2), 78-89(in Persian).
- Lee, S., Yu, J., Jeong, D. (2015). BIM acceptance model in construction organizations. Journal of management in engineering, 31(3), 1-13, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ME.1943-5479.0000252
- Kassem, M., Succar, B., Dawood, N. (2013). A proposed approach to comparing the BIM maturity of countries. The 30th International Conference on Applications of IT in the AEC Industry. Beijing, China
- Kasiralvalad,E., Bastan, M., Abniki, H, Ahmadvand, A. (2016). Simulation Analysis of Brain Drain in Iran using System Dynamics Approach, The 34th International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Mathews, V., Varghese, K., & Mahalingam, A. (2014). A Study on Significance of System Dynamics Approach in Understanding Adoption of Information Technology in Building Construction Projects. The 31st International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction and Mining (ISARC 2014), Sydney, Australia.
- Manghasarian, E., Nekooie, M. (2016). Building Information Modeling and assessing and prioritizing lack of its applicability in Iranian construction industry. Journal of Engineering & Construction Management, 1(1), 6-11.
- Mehran, D. (2016). Exploring the Adoption of BIM in the UAE Construction Industry for AEC Firms. Procedia Engineering, 145, 1110-1118.
- Mamter, S., Abdolaziz, A., Zulkepli, J. (2017). Root causes occurrence of low BIM adoption in Malaysia: System dynamics modelling approach. The 3rd International Conference on Construction and Building Engineering. Palembang, Indonesia.
- Ngowtanasuwan, G., Hadikusumo, I. (2017). System dynamics modelling for BIM adoption in Thai architectural and engineering design industry. Construction Innovation. 17(4), 457-474
- Rafieian, A., Shafiei, M. (2014). Management of Building Information Modeling, The 1st National Conference on Civil Engineering, Architecture and Sustainable Development, Yazd, Iran (in Persian).
- Rabieh, M., Salari, H., Karami, M., Ziyaei, M., Yasoubi, A. (2017). Causal Loop Model for Problem of Traffic Accident: The System Dynamics Approach. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 7(1), 115-143 (in Persian).
- Rogers, J., Chong, H., Preece, C. (2015). Adoption of building information modelling technology (BIM) perspectives from Malaysian engineering consulting services firms. Engineering. Construction and Architectural Management, 22(4), 424-445.
- Sotodeh Bidokhti, A. (2015). Review of Information and Communication Technology in Building Project Management, The 1st International conference on Economics, Management and Accounting with Value Creation Approach, Tehran, Iran (in Persian).
- Smart Market Report (2012). The business value of bim in north america multi year trend analysis and user ratings 2007-2012. McGraw Hill Constraction.
- Strauss, A., Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research: Newbury Park,Sage.
- Sterman, J. (2000). Business dynamics: systems thinking and modeling for a complex world. McGraw Hill
- Smyth, R. (2005). Broadband videoconferencing as a tool for learner‐centred distance learning in higher education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 36(5), 805-820.
- Son, H., Lee, S., Hwang, N., Kim, C. (2014). The adoption of building information modeling in the design organization: An empirical study of architects in Korean design firms. The International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Sydney, Astralia.
- Tabarzan, T., Bastan, M., Ahmadvand, A. (2017). The Model of Chronic Cardiovascular Diseases Growth and Effective Control Costs Management: A qualitative System Dynamics Approach, The 13th International Conference on Industrial Engineering (IIEC2017), Babolsar, Iran
- Taghizadeh, K., Soltanpanah, E. (2012). Evaluation of the Use of New Technologies in Renovation of Deteriorated Urban Areas in Tehran. Urban Management, 10 (29), 213-234, (in Persian).
- Wong, J., Wang, X., Li, H., Chan, G. (2014). A review of cloud-based BIM technology in the construction sector. Journal of information technology in construction 19(1), 281-291.
- Zadfallah, E., Bastan, M., Ahmadvand, A. (2017). A Qualitative System Dynamics Approach to Clinical Risk Management, The 13th International Conference on Industrial Engineering (IIEC2017), Babolsar, Iran.