Document Type : Original Article
PhD. Student, University of Tehran.
Assistant Professor, University of Tehran.
Professor, University of Tehran.
Organizations usually confront with disruptive incidents. The ability of an organization to reduce the losses caused by these incidents is referred to economic resilience. In this research, the performance of a petrochemical plant is investigated in case of a crisis. At first, based on a comprehensive literature review, a conceptual framework for organizational economic resilience is developed. A structured questionnaire is provided and distributed among the staff of a petrochemical plant as a real case study. Then, an uncertain Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) model is employed to identify the efficient units of the petrochemical plant. At the end, a sensitivity analysis is performed to examine the importance of each factor in building economic resilience in the plant. This is the first study that presents an integrated qualitative-quantitative approach including a conceptual model for economic resilience and a DEA model in uncertain conditions in the whole supply chain of a petrochemical plant.
- Achour, N., & Price, A. D. (2010). Resilience strategies of healthcare facilities: present and future. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment, 1(3), 264-276.
- Ager, A. K., Lembani, M., Mohammed, A., Ashir, G. M., Abdulwahab, A., Pinho, H., ... & Zarowsky, C. (2015). Health service resilience in Yobe state, Nigeria in the context of the Boko Haram insurgency: a systems dynamics analysis using group model building. Conflict and health, 9(1), 30.
- Aleksić, A., Stefanović, M., Arsovski, S., & Tadić, D. (2013). An assessment of organizational resilience potential in SMEs of the process industry, a fuzzy approach. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 26(6), 1238-1245.
- Allen, P. M., Datta, P. P., & Christopher, M. (2006). Improving the resilience and performance of organizations using multi-agent modelling of a complex production–distribution systems. Risk Management, 8(4), 294-309.
- Andrew, S., Arlikatti, S., Siebeneck, L., Pongponrat, K., & Jaikampan, K. (2016). Sources of organisational resiliency during the Thailand floods of 2011: A test of the bonding and bridging hypotheses. Disasters, 40(1), 65-84.
- Azadeh, A., Haghighi, S. M., & Salehi, V. (2015). Identification of managerial shaping factors in a petrochemical plant by resilience engineering and data envelopment analysis. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 36, 158-166.
- Azadeh, A., Salehi, V., Arvan, M., & Dolatkhah, M. (2014a). Assessment of resilience engineering factors in high-risk environments by fuzzy cognitive maps: A petrochemical plant. Safety Science, 68, 99-107.
- Azadeh, A., Salehi, V., Ashjari, B., & Saberi, M. (2014b). Performance evaluation of integrated resilience engineering factors by data envelopment analysis: The case of a petrochemical plant. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 92(3), 231-241.
- Azadeh, A., Salmanzadeh-Meydani, N. and Motevali-Haghighi, S., 2017. Performance optimization of an aluminum factory in economic crisis by integrated resilience engineering and mathematical programming. Safety science, 91, 335-350.
- Barasa, E., Mbau, R. and Gilson, L., 2018. What is resilience and how can it be nurtured? A systematic review of empirical literature on organizational resilience. International journal of health policy and management, 7(6), 491.
- Beermann, M. (2011). Linking corporate climate adaptation strategies with resilience thinking. Journal of Cleaner Production, 19(8), 836-842.
- Booher, D. E., & Innes, J. E. (2010). Governance for resilience: CALFED as a complex adaptive network for resource management. Ecology and Society, 15(3).
- Brown, C., Seville, E. and Vargo, J., 2017. Measuring the organizational resilience of critical infrastructure providers: A New Zealand case study. International Journal of Critical Infrastructure Protection, 18, 37-49.
- Burnard, K., & Bhamra, R. (2011). Organisational resilience: development of a conceptual framework for organisational responses. International Journal of Production Research, 49(18), 5581-5599.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., & Rhodes, E. (1978). Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European journal of operational research, 2(6), 429-444.
- Chiou, Y. C., Lan, L. W., & Yen, B. T. (2010). A joint measurement of efficiency and effectiveness for non-storable commodities: Integrated data envelopment analysis approaches. European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 477-489.
- De Carvalho, A.O., Ribeiro, I., Cirani, C.B.S. and Cintra, R.F., 2016. Organizational resilience: A comparative study between innovative and non-innovative companies based on the financial performance analysis. International Journal of Innovation, 4(1), 58-69.
- Dormady, N., Roa-Henriquez, A. and Rose, A., 2019. Economic resilience of the firm: A production theory approach. International Journal of Production Economics, 208, 446-460.
- Duchek, S., Raetze, S. and Scheuch, I., 2019. The role of diversity in organizational resilience: a theoretical framework. Business Research, 1-37.
- Grossmann, I. E., Calfa, B. A., & Garcia-Herreros, P. (2014). Evolution of concepts and models for quantifying resiliency and flexibility of chemical processes. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 70, 22-34.
- Jung, K., 2017. Sources of organizational resilience for sustainable communities: An institutional collective action perspective. Sustainability, 9(7), 1141.
- Kantur, D., & Say, A. I. (2015). Measuring organizational resilience: A scale development. Journal of Business Economics and Finance, 4(3).
- Koronis, E. and Ponis, S., 2018. A Strategic Approach to Crisis Management and Organizational Resilience. Journal of Business Strategy, 39(1), 32-42.
- Lee, L. Y., Kim, S. J., Kim, Y. S., Kim, H. S., 2013. Evaluation of Resilience in Anyang River Basin for Flood Damage Mitigation. Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 13(2), 291-298.
- Liu, B. (2007). Uncertainty theory. In Uncertainty theory (pp. 205-234). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Liu, B. (2010). Uncertainty theory. In Uncertainty theory (pp. 1-79). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Mafabi, S., Munene, J. C., & Ahiauzu, A. (2013). Organisational resilience: Testing the interaction effect of knowledge management and creative climate. Journal of Organizational Psychology, 13(1/2), 70-82.
- McManus, S., Seville, E., Vargo, J., & Brunsdon, D. (2008). Facilitated process for improving organizational resilience. Natural Hazards Review, 9(2), 81-90.
- Mohammadi, A., & Pashazadeh, A. (2017). Measuring urban resilience against the risk of earthquake Case study: Ardabil city. Industrial Management Perspective, 8(2), 112-126 (In Persian).
- Normandin, J.M. and Therrien, M.C., 2016. Resilience factors reconciled with complexity: The dynamics of order and disorder. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 24(2), 107-118.
- Oluwasoye, M., & Ugonna, N. (2015). Environmental risk: exploring organisational resilience and robustness. International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 6(1), 1103-1115.
- Omer, M., Mostashari, A., & Lindemann, U. (2014). Resilience analysis of soft infrastructure systems. Procedia Computer Science, 28, 565-574.
- Pal, R., Torstensson, H., & Mattila, H. (2014). Antecedents of organizational resilience in economic crises—an empirical study of Swedish textile and clothing SMEs. International Journal of Production Economics, 147, 410-428.
- Pooya, A., Esmaili, F. (2018). Designing a Combined Model of PCA and DEA for Improving the Ranking of Educational Departments: A Case study of Educational Depratments of Ferdowsi University. Industrial Management Perspective, 11(2), 159-186 (In Persian).
- Rahimi, F., Mohammadi, J., Kiani, E. (2018). Multi-level model of Antecedents and consequences of career resilience in workplace. Industrial Management Perspective, 10(34), 44-63 (In Persian).
- Sawalha, I. H. S. (2015). Managing adversity: understanding some dimensions of organizational resilience. Management research review, 38(4), 346-366.
- Serfilippi, E. and Ramnath, G., 2018. Resilience Measurement and Conceptual Frameworks: A Review of the Literature. Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, 89(4), 645-664.
- Sheffi, Y. (2007). Building a resilient organization. The Birdge: Linking engineering and Society. National Academy Of Engineering, 1(37), 32-38.
- Shirali, G. A., Mohammadfam, I., & Ebrahimipour, V. (2013). A new method for quantitative assessment of resilience engineering by PCA and NT approach: A case study in a process industry. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 119, 88-94.
- Shirali, G. A., Shekari, M., & Angali, K. A. (2016). Quantitative assessment of resilience safety culture using principal components analysis and numerical taxonomy: A case study in a petrochemical plant. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 40, 277-284.
- Sommer, S.A., Howell, J.M. and Hadley, C.N., 2016. Keeping positive and building strength: The role of affect and team leadership in developing resilience during an organizational crisis. Group & Organization Management, 41(2), 172-202.
- Sullivan-Taylor, B., & Branicki, L. (2011). Creating resilient SMEs: why one size might not fit all. International Journal of Production Research, 49(18), 5565-5579.
- Tadić, D., Aleksić, A., Stefanović, M., & Arsovski, S. (2014). Evaluation and ranking of organizational resilience factors by using a two-step fuzzy AHP and fuzzy TOPSIS. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014.
- Teo, W.L., Lee, M. & Lim, W.S. (2017). The relational activation of resilience model: How leadership activates resilience in an organizational crisis. Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, 25(3), 136-147.
- Wang, X., Gao, Z., & Guo, H. (2012). Delphi method for estimating uncertainty distributions. Information: An International Interdisciplinary Journal, 15(2), 449-460.
- Wen, M., Zhang, Q., Kang, R., & Yang, Y. (2017). Some new ranking criteria in data envelopment analysis under uncertain environment. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 110, 498-504.
- Wilson, R.L., 2016. Organizational resilience as a human capital strategy for companies in bankruptcy. Work, 54(2), 309-323.
- Xie, W., Rose, A., Li, S., He, J., Li, N. and Ali, T., 2018. Dynamic economic resilience and economic recovery from disasters: a quantitative assessment. Risk analysis, 38(6), 1306-1318.
- Yumarni, T., 2018. Ten years later: economic resilience of small scale enterprise following earthquake in Bantul Yogyakarta. Procedia engineering, 212, 309-315.
- Zhong, S., Hou, X. Y., Clark, M., Zang, Y. L., Wang, L., Xu, L. Z., & FitzGerald, G. (2014). Disaster resilience in tertiary hospitals: a cross-sectional survey in Shandong Province, China. BMC health services research, 14(1), 135.