Document Type : Original Article
MA student, Amirkabir University of Techology.
Assistant Professor, Amirkabir University of Technology.
One of the challenges in non-spot contracts is evaluating the price the trading party (supplier) offers. His past behavior in the way of exchanging the traded goods as well as in the way of the financial settlement of the concluded contract plays a key role in the evaluation of his proposed price. This research has been done with the aim of solving this challenge. First, using historical data, the behavior of strategic suppliers of a steel trading company has been investigated and their behavior has been categorized into specific patterns. Then, a formula is presented that relates the proposed non-spot price and the cash market price in each pattern. Besides evaluating the proposed price using the presented method, how to use it as a decision support tool for pricing in non-spot contracts is explained. Moreover, by example, it is stated how to use this method in order to predict the future price more precisely. Sensitivity analysis is performed on the main parameters and the results are illustrated. This work provides a tool to evaluate and determine the price in non-spot contracts based on the historical behavior of the trading party. In addition, it can be used to predict future prices more accurately.
- Bacha, O. I., & Sarajoti, P. (2023). Financial Derivatives: Markets and Applications.
- Baldi, L., Peri, M., & Vandone, D. (2011). Spot and futures prices of agricultural commodities: Fundamentals and speculation. In 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria (No. 122002). International European Forum on System Dynamics and Innovation in Food Networks, 110-125.
- Derakhshan, M. (2004), Derivatives and Risk Management in Oil Markets, Institute for International Energy Studies.( In Persian).
- Desai, P. S., Koenigsberg, O., & Purohit, D. (2010). Forward buying by retailers. Journal of Marketing Research, 47(1), 90-102.
- Elder, J., Miao, H., & Ramchander, S. (2012). Impact of macroeconomic news on metal futures. Journal of Banking & Finance, 36(1), 51-65.
- Fischer-Thöne, C. (2022). Optimal payment contracts in trade relationships. University of Bayreuth.
- Floros, C., & Vougas, D. (2007). Lead-lag relationship between futures and spot markets in Greece: 1999-2001. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, (7), 168-174.
- Foti, C. G. (2000). Reducing forward buying through derivatives (Doctoral dissertation, Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
- Garbade, K. D., & Silber, W. L. (1983). Price movements and price discovery in futures and cash markets. The Review of Economics and Statistics, 65(2), 289-297.
- Gee, C. S., & Karim, M. Z. A. (2005). The lead-lag relationship between stock index futures and spot market in Malaysia: A cointegration and error correction model approach. Chulalongkorn Journal of Economics, 17(1), 53-72.
- Hamilton, J. D., & Wu, J. C. (2014). Risk premia in crude oil futures prices. Journal of International Money and Finance, 42, 9-37.
- Handika, R., & Trück, S. (2012). The relationship between spot and futures prices: an empirical analysis of Australian electricity markets. In 3rd IAEE Asian Conference (pp. 1-12).
- Hasani, P., & Mohammaditabar, D. (2018). A Multi Period Lot-Sizing Model in Three-Echelon Supply Chain by Considering Payment Methods and Joint Replenishment of Inventory Items. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(3), 141-165. (In Persian).
- Herbst, A. F., McCormack, J. P., & West, E. N. (1987). Investigation of a lead-lag relationship between spot stock indices and their futures contracts. The Journal of Futures Markets (1986-1998), 7(4), 373.
- Hernandez, M., & Torero, M. (2010). Examining the dynamic relationship between spot and future prices of agricultural commodities (No. 988). International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hull, J., Treepongkaruna, S., Colwell, D., Heaney, R., & Pitt, D. (2013). Fundamentals of futures and options markets. Pearson Higher Education AU.
- Iran Commodity Exchange. (2022). Types of tradable contracts in Iran Commodity Exchange. Iran Commodity Exchange. www.ime.co.ir/Contract.html (In Persian).
- Lal, R., Little, J. D., & Villas-Boas, J. M. (1996). A theory of forward buying, merchandising, and trade deals. Marketing Science, 15(1), 21-37.
- Monfared, M., Arman, M. H., & Barati, M. (2018). Combination of the Analytic Network Process Method and Multi-Objective Decision-Making in order to Predict and Reduce the Future Risks of Suppliers. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(2), 111-134 (In Persian).
- Park, C. S., & Sharp, G. P. (2021). Advanced engineering economics. John Wiley & Sons.
- Pinçe, Ç. (2021). Forward Buying and Strategic Stockouts. European Journal of Operational Research, 289(1), 118-131.
- Sills, D. L. (1968). International encyclopedia of social sciences, 17 vols. International encyclopedia of social sciences, 17 vols.
- Tavakoli, A., Didekhani, H., Kariznoie, A., & Sadeghpor, H. (2011). Using the appropriate mathematical model for evaluating suppliers using Mikhailov's method. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 4, 153-173 (In Persian).
- Zola, P., & Carpita, M. (2016). Forecasting the steel product prices with the arima model. Statistica and Applicazioni, 14(1), 83-99.