Document Type : Original Article
1 Ph. D student, Department of Industrial Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
4 Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, South Tehran Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Cross docking is a distribution system in which goods are transported to destinations with the aim of preparing trucks at full capacity and reducing inventory costs. The truck scheduling problem has recently been studied by many researchers, but mostly in deterministic cases and situations, while there are many uncertainties in this process. This paper intends to optimize the process related to cross docking operations in a logistics center (Central Fruit and Vegetable Warehouse of Tehran Municipality) with the aim of minimizing operation time, inventory holding, and determining the optimal number of operators under uncertainties in truck arrival time, loading and unloading operations time, handling time and availability of resources and equipment. Due to the computational complexity of precision solving and evaluation of various options, a simulation-based optimization approach has been used, which is a combination of simulation, design of experiment and response surface methodology (RSM). The response surface methodology shows that the best-case scenario includes composition, direct movement between docks, exclusive service mode and "first come-first served" method. Numerical results also confirm that the proposed scenario greatly improves the performance measures in the studied warehouse.
- Alpan, G., Ladier, A.-L., Larbi, R. & Penz, B. )2011(. Heuristic solutions for transshipment problems in a multiple door cross docking warehouse. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 61, 402–408.
- A, Tavakkoli-Moghaddam, R. (2016). A bi-objective truck scheduling problem in a cross-docking center with probability of breakdown for trucks. Computers & Industrial Engineering, Volume 96, June 2016, Pages 180-191.
- Arabani, A. B., Zandieh, M. & Ghomi, S. M. T. F. (2012). A cross-docking scheduling problem with sub population multi-objective algorithms. International of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 58, 741–761.
- Arabani, A. R. B., Ghomi, S. M. T. F. & Zandieh, M. (2010). A multi-criteria cross-docking scheduling with just-in-time approach. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 49, 741–756.
- Augustina, D., Lee, C. & Piplani, R. (2010). A review: mathematical models for cross docking planning. International Journal of Enginnering Business Management, volume2, janury-december 2010, 47-54.
- Belle, J. V., Valckenaers, P. & Cattrysse, D. (2012). Cross-docking: State of the art. Omega, Volume 40, Issue 6, December 2012, Pages 827-846.
- Belle, J. V., Valckenaers, P., Berghe, G. V. & Cattrysse, D. (2013). A tabu search approach to the truck scheduling problem with multiple docks and time windows. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 66, 818–826.
- Boysen, N. & Fliedner, M. )2010). Cross dock scheduling: Classification, literature review and research agenda. Omega, 38, 413–422.
- Boysen, N. (2010). Truck scheduling at zero-inventory cross docking terminals. Computers & Operations Research, 37, 32-41.
- Boysen, N., Briskorn, D. & Tschöke, M. (2013). Truck scheduling in cross-docking terminals with fixed outbound departures. OR Spectrum, 35, 479–504.
- Buijs, P., Vis, I. F. & Carlo, H. J., (2014). Synchronization in cross-docking networks: A research classification and framework. European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 239, Issue 3, 16 December 2014, Pages 593-60.
- Faria, F. T. (2015). Restructuring of Logistics Processes: Case Study of Order Picking at Terminal C2 of Grupo Luís Simões, s.l.: s.n.
- Forouharfard, S. & Zandieh, M. (2010). An imperialist competitive algorithm to schedule of receiving and shipping trucks in cross-docking systems. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Tecnhology, 51, 1179–1193.
- Gagliardi, J. P., Renaud, J. & Ruiz, A. (2007). A simulation model to improve warehouse operations. Proceedings of the 2007 Winter Simulation Conference, 2012-2018. 74.
- Gaudioso, M. Flavia, M. & Sammarra, M. (2020). A Lagrangian heuristics for the truck scheduling problem in multi-door, multi-product Cross-Docking with constant processingtime. Volume 101, June 2021, 102255.
- Gelareh, F. Glover, O. Guemri, S. Hanafi, P. Nduwayo, R. & Todosijevic, S. (2018). A comparative study of formulations for a Cross-dock Door Assignment Problem. Volume 91, March 2020, 102015.
- Gu, J., Gotschalckx, M. & McGinnis, L. F. (2010). Research on warehouse design and performance evaluation: A comprehensive review. European Journal of Operational Research, 16 June, 539-549.
- Gue, K. R. (1999). The effects of trailer scheduling on the layout of freight terminals. Transportation Science, 33, 419-428.
- Khalili-Damghani, K. Tavana, M. Santos-Arteaga, F. & Ghanbarzad-Dashti, M. (2017). A customized genetic algorithm for solving multi-period cross-dock truck scheduling problem. Measurement, 108, 101–118.
- Ladier, A.-L. & Alpan, G. (2015). Cross-docking operations: Current research versus industry practice. Omega. Volume 62, July 2016, Pages 145-162.
- Larbi, R., Alpan, G., Baptiste, P. & Penz, B. (2011). Scheduling cross docking operations under full, partial and no information on inbound arrivals. Computers & Operations Research, 38, 889–900.
- Liao, T., Egbelu, P. & Chang, P. (2012). Two hybrid differential evolution algorithms for optimal inbound and outbound truck sequencing in cross docking operations. Applied Soft Computing, 12, 3683–3697.
- Liao, T., Egbelu, P. & Chang, P. (2013). Simultaneous dock assignment and sequencing of inbound trucks under a fixed outbound truck schedule in multi-door cross docking operations. International Journal of Production Economics, 141, 212–229.
- Luo, G. & Noble, J. S. (2012). An integrated model for crossdock operations including staging. International Journal of Production Research, 50, 2451-2464.
- McWilliams, D. L. (2010). Iterative improvement to solve the parcel hub scheduling problem. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 59, 136–144.
- McWilliams, D. L., Stanfield, P. M. & Geiger, C. D. (2008). Minimizing the completion time of the transfer operations in a central parcel consolidation terminal with unequal-batch-size inbound trailers. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 54, 709–720.
- Miao, Z., Lim, A. & Ma, H. (2009). Truck dock assignment problem with operational time constraint within crossdocks. European Journal of Operational Research, 192, 105-115.
- Mirzabaghi, M. & Jolay, F. (2017). Inventory programing in Queuning theory with multiple vendors using simulation and respond surface methodology. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 27, 9-26. (In Persian).
- Mousavi, S. Sajadi, SM. Alemtabriz, A. & Najafi, SE. (2021). Designing a Hierarchical Network of Temporary Urban Medical Centers in a Disaster through a Hybrid Approach of Mathematical Model – Simulation. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 11(42), 99-124.
- Nassief, W. Contreras, I. & Jaumard, B. (2018). A Comparison of Formulations and Relaxations for Cross-dock Door Assignment Problems. Computers and Operations Research. Volume 94, June 2018, Pages 76-88
- Nogueira, H., Coutinho, F.P., Ribeiro, R.P., & Ravetti, M.G. (2020). Parallel-machine scheduling methodology for a multi-dock truck sequencing problem in a cross-docking center. Computers & Industrial Engineering. Volume 143, May 2020, 106391.
- Petersen, C. G. & Aase, (2004). A comparison of picking, storage, and routing policies in manual order picking. International Journal of Production Economics, 92, 11–19.
- Reddy, R. Kumar, S. Fernandes, K. & Tiwari, K. (2017). A Multi-Agent System based simulation approach for planning procurement operations and scheduling with multiple cross-docks. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 107, 289-300.
- Sandal, S. (2005). Staging approaches to reduce overall cost in a crossdock environment. Master’s Thesis, University of Missouri.
- Serranoa, Ch. Delormeb, X. & Dolguic, A. (2021). Cross-dock distribution and operation planning for overseas delivery consolidation: A case study in the automotive industry. CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 33, 71-81
- Shahmardan, A. & Sajadieh, M.S. (2019). Truck Scheduling in A Multi-Door Cross-docking Center with Partial Unloading – Reinforcement Learning-Based Simulated Annealing Approaches. Computers & Industrial Engineering. Volume 139, January 2020, 106134.
- Shahram fard, S. & Vahdani, B. (2019). Assignment and scheduling trucks in crossdocking system with energy consumption consideration and trucks queuing. Journal of Cleaner Production. Volume 213, 10 March 2019, Pages 21-41.
- Shakeri a, M. Low, M. Y. H. Turner, S. J. & Lee, E. W. (2012). A robust two-phase heuristic algorithm for the truck scheduling problem in a resource-constrained crossdock. Computers & Operations Research, 39, 2564–2577.
- Shi, W. Liu, Z. Shang, j. & Cui, Y. (2013). Multi-criteria robust design of a JIT-based cross-docking distribution center for an auto parts supply chain. European Journal of Operational Research, 229(3), 695-706.
- Theophilus, O. Dulebenetsb, M. Pashaa, J. Lauc, Y. Fathollahi, A. & Mazaherie, A. (2021). Truck scheduling optimization at a cold-chain cross-docking terminal with product perishability considerations. Computers & Industrial Engineering. 156, 107240.
- Vahdani, B. & Zandieh, M. (2010). Scheduling trucks in cross-docking systems: Robust metaheuristics. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 58, 12–24.
- Walha, F., Chaabane, S., Bekrar, A. & Loukil, T. (2014). The Cross docking under uncertainty: state of the art. Hammamet, Tunísia, IEEE, 330 – 335.
- Yu, W. & Egbelu, P. J. (2008). Scheduling of inbound and outbound trucks in cross docking systems with temporary storage. European Journal of Operational Research, Volume 184, Issue 1, 1 January 2008, Pages 377-396
- Zandi, p. Rahmani, & M, Azimi, P. (2021). Proposing a Model for Analyzing and Improving a Service System through Queue Theory and Simulation Approach (Case: Hamedan Power Company). The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 11(42), 65-97. (In Persian).