Document Type : Original Article
PhD student, Shiraz University.
Professor, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
Assistant Professor, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
In Iran, several measures have been taken to increase collaboration between universities and society, particularly industry. However, the lack of a systemic view and existing dynamics have resulted in a lack of proper investigation of the university-society relationship, and many aspects have been overlooked. This study aims to provide a dynamic model of university-society communication using a system dynamics approach to eliminate obstacles and conflicts, taking historical data into account. To achieve this goal, three main variables were considered: essay writing, quality of education, and extracurricular projects. The relationship between these indicators in the research model was established through the faculty member capacity variable, which is a common source for all three main variables. To validate the model, a behavior reproduction test and model sensitivity analysis were used. After validating the model, different policies were investigated, and the best policy was chosen to improve the three main variables according to the faculty member capacity variable. The simulation results showed that the allocation of the university budget to the main indicators of essay writing, quality of education, and extracurricular projects had acceptable results when taking into account the differences in essay writing, quality of education, and extracurricular projects with the targeted amount.
- Abili, K., Narenji Thani, F., & Mostafavi, Z. (2018). Assessing the Readiness of the University to Establish the Lean Higher Education (Case Study: University of Tehran). The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(3), 95-114. (In Persian).
- Abramo, G., D’Angelo, C. A., & Di Costa, F. (2011). University-industry research collaboration: a model to assess university capability. Higher Education, 62(2), 163-181.
- Almeida, P., Hohberger, J., & Parada, P. (2011). Individual scientific collaborations and firm-level innovation. Industrial and corporate Change, 20(6), 1571-1599.
- Azagra-Caro, J. M., Tijssen, R. J., Tur, E. M., & Yegros-Yegros, A. (2019). University-industry scientific production and the Great Recession. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 139, 210-220.
- Azar, A., Gholamrezaei, D., Danaei Fard, H., & Khodadad Hosseini, H. (2013). Analysis of University-Industry Relation in Higher Education Policies of the Fifth Development Plan using System Dynamics. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 3(1), 79-115. (In Persian)
- Bagheri, M., Salimi, G., Mohammadi, M., & Tayyebi Khorrami, M. (2016). The Effect of Structural and Behavioral Factors on Science Production Culture in Universities (Case Study: Shiraz University). Management in The Islamic University, 4(10), 181-206. (In Persian).
- Capaldo, G., Costantino, N., Pellegrino, R., & Rippa, P. (2016). Factors affecting the diffusion and success of collaborative interactions between university and industry: the case of research services. Journal of Science and Technology Policy Management, 7(3), 273-288.
- Faez, A., Shahabi, A. (1389). Evaluation and prioritization of university-industry communication barriers: (Semnan city case study). Educational Leadership and Management, 12(4), 124-97. (In Persian)
- Fahim, J., & Masoumi, R. (2011). Presentation of quality management system in basic and applied science researches, the second national research and technology management conference, Science, Technology and Industry Policy Institute, Tehran, Sharif University of Technology. (In Persian).
- Faiz, D., & Shahabi, A. (2012). Modeling the role of knowledge and industry coordination centers in the development of university-industry relationship with system dynamics approach. Industry and University, 5, 39-50. (In Persian)
- Fayuzat, A., & Taslimi Tehrani, R. (2007). Sociological investigation of the relationship between university and industry in today's Iran. Journal of Literature and Human Sciences (53), (In Persian)
- Forrester, J. W. (1987). Lessons from system dynamics modeling. System Dynamics Review, 3(2), 136-149.
- Gholami, Z., and Arasteh, H., and Noh Ebrahim, A., & Zainabadi, H. (2018). Designing the model of research function of universities with the approach of supporting industry. Strategic studies of public policy (strategic studies of globalization), 8(27), 231-253. (In Persian)
- Hallam, C., Wurth, B., & Flannery, W. (2014). Understanding the system dynamics of the university-industry technology transfer process and the potential for adverse policy creep. In Proceedings of PICMET'14 Conference: Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology; Infrastructure and Service Integration (pp. 1129-1136). IEEE.
- Homayounfar, M., Toloui Ashlaghi, A., & Fadaei Ashkiki, M. (2013). Presenting of Investment Model for Interaction Between Industry and University with System Dynamic. Investment Knowledge, 2(8), 41-70. (In Persian).
- Information system of Ferdowsi University of Mashhad (2021). https://vpb.um.ac.ir/index.php?lang=fa (In Persian).
- Iqbal, A. M., Khan, A. S., Bashir, F., & Senin, A. A. (2015). Evaluating national innovation system of malaysia based on university-industry research collaboration: A system thinking approach. Asian Social Science, 11(13), 45-60.
- Kang, J., Lee, J., Jang, D., & Park, S. (2019). A methodology of partner selection for sustainable industry-university cooperation based on LDA topic model. Sustainability, 11(12), 34-78.
- Kirchberger, M. A., & Pohl, L. (2016). Technology commercialization: a literature review of success factors and antecedents across different contexts. The Journal of Technology Transfer, 41(5), 1077-1112.
- Kitchel, T., & Robinson, J. S. (2007). College of agriculture course evaluation patterns in overall value of course and quality of teaching. NACTA Journal, 51(4), 23-30.
- Majidi, S., Fallah Lajimi, H., & Safaei ghadikolaei, A. (2021). The Application of Data Envelopment Analysis in Evaluating the Performance of Universities and Higher Education Institutions: A Systematic Review of the Literature. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 11(1), 53-80. (In Persian)
- Nsanzumuhire, S. U., & Groot, W. (2020). Context perspective on University-Industry Collaboration processes: A systematic review of literature. Journal of cleaner production, 258, 120861.
- Pinheiro, R., Langa, P. V., & Pausits, A. (2015). One and two equals three? The third mission of higher education institutions. European journal of education, 5(3), 233-249.
- Fateh Rad, M., Seyedesfahani, M. M., & Jalilvand, M. R. (2015). An effective collaboration model between industry and university based on the theory of self organization: A system dynamics model. Journal of Science & Technology Policy Management, 6(1), 2-24.
- Roper, S., Love, J. H., & Bonner, K. (2017). Firms’ knowledge search and local knowledge externalities in innovation performance. Research policy, 46(1), 43-56.
- Rosli, A., & Rossi, F. (2016). Third-mission policy goals and incentives from performance-based funding: Are they aligned? Research Evaluation, 25(4), 427-441.
- Saadat Nia, Z., Abbas Nejad, T., & Mohammadi Kangrani, H. (2017). Drawing and analyzing the cooperation network between university and industry using the social network analysis approach (case study: Hormozgan University). Industrial Management, 9(2), 309-328. (In Persian).
- Sarati Shirazi, M., Metousel, M., Uzra, F., & Faraj Pahlo, A. (2017). The study of cooperation between university and industry in Iran based on the co-publishing index and the classification of these industries based on the "international classification of industrial standards in all economic activities". Librarianship and information, 20(3) (serial 79), 75-94. (In Persian).
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2009). Research methods for business students,
- Shahabi, A., Moeini, E. (2015). Modeling the role of university and industry in technology transfer in the intellectual property rights area using a system dynamics approach. Journal of Technology Development Management, 3(1), 135-158. (In Persian)
- Sterman, J. (2000). Business dynamics. McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Wallin, J., Isaksson, O., Larsson, A., & Elfström, B. O. (2014). Bridging the gap between university and industry: Three mechanisms for innovation efficiency. Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 11(01),