Document Type : Original Article
1 MSc., University of Tehran.
2 Associate Professor, University of Tehran.
3 Assistant Professor, Sharif University of Technology.
Family businesses and their internationalization have attracted increasing attention. Over the years, scholars have attempted to shed light on different characteristics of family firms that support their successful internationalization. In this research, we focus on familiness and investigate how familiness plays a role in the process of internationalization. Familiness refers to competencies and capabilities that are created in family firms because of the interaction between family and business. To answer this question, we have employed a qualitative research method and semi-structured interviews to collect data from seven family businesses from an emerging economy that were operating internationally. Built upon the social capital theory, our findings shed light on how the nature of family relationships in terms of different aspects of cognitive, relational, and structural dimensions facilitate the internationalization of family firms.
- Aali, S., & Tourchian, A. (2019). Determining the export skills of export manufacturing companies in different stages of internationalization. Journal of International Business Administration, 1(3), 59-78.(In Persian)
- Adendorff, C. M. (2005). The development of a cultural family business model of good governance for Greek family businesses in South Africa. (Doctoral). Rhodes University.
- Ahmadi Kafeshani, A., Nouri, P., & Talebi, K. (2018). Knowledge Transfer Process in Family Businesses: a grounded theory approach. Journal of Entrepreneurship Development, 11(2), 201-220. (In Persian)
- Alfredo De Massis, F. F., Antonio Majocchi, Lucia Piscitello. (2018). Family firms in the global economy: Toward a deeper understanding of internationalization determinants, processes, and outcomes. Global sterategy journal, 8(1), 3-21.
- Andrea Calabro, D. M., Morten Huse (2009). The role of board of directors in the internationalisation process of small and medium sized family businesses. International Journal of Globalisation and Small Business, 3(4), 393-411.
- Arregle, J.-L., Hitt, M. A., Sirmon, D. G., & Very, P. (2007). The Development of Organizational Social Capital: Attributes of Family Firms*. Journal of Management Studies, 44(1), 73-95.
- Arregle, J.-L., Naldi, L., Nordqvist, M., & Hitt, M. A.(2012). Internationalization of Family-Controlled Firms: A Study of the Effects of External Involvement in Governance. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36(6), 1115-1143.
- Owen, G. (2008). Naturalistic inquiry and the saturation concept: a research note. Qualitative Research, 8(1), 137–152.
- Bhaumik, S. K., Driffield, N., & Pal, S. (2010). Does ownership structure of emerging-market firms affect their outward FDI? The case of the Indian automotive and pharmaceutical sectors. Journal of International Business Studies, 41(3), 437-450.
- Cano-Rubio, M., Lombardi, R., Fuentes-Lombardo, G., & Núñez-Cacho, P. (2021). Familiness, business strategy and stakeholder engagement: The internationalisation of Spanish olive oil mills. Business Strategy and the Environment, 30(5), 1-23.
- Carr, J. C., Cole, M. S., Ring, J. K., & Blettner, D. P. (2011). A Measure of Variations in Internal Social Capital Among Family Firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35(6), 1207-1227.
- Carrie R. Leana, H. J. V. B. (1999). Organizational social capital and employment practices. Academy of Management Review, 24(3), 538-555.
- Casillas, J. C., Moreno, A. M., & Acedo, F. J. (2010). Internationalization of Family Businesses: A Theoretical Model Based on International Entrepreneurship Perspective. Global Management Journal, 2(2),18-35.
- Chrisman, J. J., Chua, J. H., & Steier, L. (2005). Sources and Consequences of Distinctive Familiness: An Introduction. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
- Coleman, J. S. (1988). Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital. The American Journal of Sociology
- Daspit, J. J., Long, R. G., & Pearson, A. W. (2019). How familiness affects innovation outcomes via absorptive capacity: A dynamic capability perspective of the family firm. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 10(2), 133-143.
- Farsijani, H., & Gauomi Ghahroudi, S. (2014). Identify & Prioritize the Barriers of Agility in Enterprizes to Achieve World-Class Production. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 4(1), 91-120. ( In Persian)
- George, G., Wiklund, J., & Zahra, S. A. (2005). Ownership and the Internationalization of Small Firms. Journal of Management, 31(2), 210-233.
- Ghoshal, J. N. a. S. (1998). Social Capital, Intellectual Capital, and the Organizational Advantage Academy of Management Review, 23(2), 242-266.
- Ghoshal, W. T. a. S. (1998). Social capital and value creation: The role of intrafirm networks. Academy of Management Review, 41(4), 464-476.
- Graves, C., & Thomas, J. (2008). Determinants of the internationalization pathways of family firms: An examination of family influence. Family Business Review, 21(2), 151-167.
- Habbershon, T. G., & Williams, M. L. (1999). A Resource-Based Framework for Assessing the Strategic Advantages of Family Firms. Family Business Review, 12(1), 1-25.
- Hoffmann, C., Wulf, T., & Stubner, S. (2016). Understanding the performance consequences of family involvement in the top management team: The role of long-term orientation. International Small Business Journal, 34(3), 345-368.
- Junsheng Dou, N. W., Emma Su, Hanqing Fang, Esra Memili. (2020). Goal complexity in family firm diversification: Evidence from China. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 11(1), 100-310.
- Kahiya, E. T. (2013). Export barriers and path to internationalization: A comparison of conventional enterprises and international new ventures. Journal of International Entrepreneurship, 11(1), 3-29.
- Karimi, M. N., F. Vafaei, F. Moradi, A. (1399). Identifying and Evaluating the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Indicators of Smart International Companies Using DEMATEL-ANP. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 10(4), 117-154 .(In Persian)
- Kontinen, T. O., Arto. (2010). The internationalization of family businesses: A review of extant research. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 26(2), 97-107.
- Kontinen, T. O., Arto. (2012). Internationalization pathways among family-owned SMEs. International Marketing Review, 29(5), 496-518.
- Kwon, P. S. a. a. S.-W. (2002). Social capital: Prospects for a new concept. academy of management, 27(1), 17-40.
- Lahiri, S., Mukherjee, D., & Peng, M. W. (2020). Behind the internationalization of family SMEs: A strategy tripod synthesis. Global Strategy Journal, 10(4), 813-838.
- Leonidou, L. C. (2004). An Analysis of the Barriers Hindering Small Business Export Development. journal of small business and management, 3(42), 279–302.
- Leppäaho, T., Plakoyiannaki, E., & Dimitratos, P. (2016). The Case Study in Family Business:An Analysis of Current Research Practices and Recommendations. Family Business Review, 29(2), 159-173.
- Lincoln, Y. Guba, E. (1985). Naturalistic Inquiry (Vol. 416): SAGE.
- Merino, F., Monreal-Pérez, J., & Sánchez-Marín, G. (2015). Family SMEs' Internationalization: Disentangling the Influence of Familiness on Spanish Firms' Export Activity. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(4), 1164-1184.
- Minichiello, V. A., Rosalie; Hays, Terrence Neville. (2008). In-depth Interviewing: Principles, Techniques, Analysis. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Education Australia.
- Misagh Tasavori, R. Z., Teck-Yong Eng. (2018). Internal social capital and international firm performance in emerging market family firms: The mediating role of participative governance. International Small Business Journal, 24, 1-24.
- Mitter, C., Duller, C., Feldbauer-Durstmüller, B., & Kraus, S.(2014). Internationalization of family firms: the effect of ownership and governance. Review of Managerial Science, 8(1), 1-28.
- Mohsenpour, M. (2015). Evaluation of qualitative data. Beyhagh, 16(2), 50-55 .(In Persian)
- Pearson, A. W., Carr, J. C., & Shaw, J. C. (2008). Toward a Theory of Familiness: A Social Capital Perspective. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32(6), 949-969.
- Pervez Ghauri, K. G., Roger Strange. (2020). Research methods in business studies: Cambridge University Press.
- Pinho, J. C., & Martins, L. (2010). Exporting barriers: Insights from Portuguese small- and medium-sized exporters and non-exporters. Journal of International Entrepreneurship, 8(3), 254-272.
- Pukall, T. J., & Calabrò, A. (2014). The Internationalization of Family Firms: A Critical Review and Integrative Model. Family Business Review.
- Rasouli, R., Zamaheni, M., & Jamshidi, A. (2012). Forecasting Model Designing of Economic Firm’s Performance in Competitive Environment. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 2(3) ,29-44. (In Persian)
- Siggelkow, N. (2007). Persuasion with case studies. Academy of Management Journal, 50(1), 20-24.
- Sirmon, D. G., & Hitt, M. A. (2003). Managing Resources: Linking Unique Resource Management and Wealth Creation in Family Firms.
- Soltanzade, S., Rezvani, M., Mobini Dehkordi, A., & Abdoli Mohammad Abadi, T. (2020). Sustainable Internationalization Pattern in Iranian Pharmaceutical Technology Based Industries: Explaining the Actions Taken and Providing the Optimal Model. Journal of Management Improvement, 14(3), 23-45.
- Weismeier-Sammer, D., Frank, H., & Von Schlippe, A. (2013). Untangling 'familiness': A literature review and directions for future research. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 14(3), 165-177.
- Yang, X., Li, J., Stanley, L. J., Kellermanns, F. W., & Li, X. (2018). How family firm characteristics affect internationalization of Chinese family SMEs. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 37(2), 417-448.
- Yin, R. (2018). Case Study Research and Applications (Sixth Edit, Vol. 53). In: Los Angeles: SAGE Publications.
- Yin, R. K. (2009). Case study research: Design and methods . Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Zaefarian, R., Eng, T.-Y., & Tasavori, M. (2016). An exploratory study of international opportunity identification among family firms. International Business Review, 25(1), 333-345.
- Zahra, S. A., Sapienza, H. J., Autio, E., Lausanne, H., & George, G. (2004). A Capabilities Perspective on the Effects of Early Internationalization on Firm Survival and Growth. Academy of Management Review.
- Zheng, W. (2010). A social capital perspective of innovation from individuals to nations: where is empirical literature directing us? international Journal of management reviews, 12(2), 151-183.
- Zulima Fernández, M. J. N. (2005). Internationalization Strategy of Small and Medium-Sized Family Businesses: Some Influential Factors. Family Business Review, 18(1), 77-89.