Document Type : Original Article
Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering, Shiraz Branch, Islamic Azad University, Shiraz, Iran.
Expert in Quality Management and Improvement of Methods, Fars Power Generation Management Company, Shiraz, Iran.
Performance evaluation is necessary for sustainable and green production of companies such as thermal power plants. Sustainability Balanced Scorecard (SBSC) is a common model in this area. Assumption in SBSC is perspectives/indicators/sub-indicators (elements) weight equality that may be problematic in real-world problems. In this paper, firstly a mathematical model was presented to calculate global weight of elements in hierarchical structure by Best-Worst Method (BWM). Then, four properties of the desirable practical structure of the elements were defined by getting idea from designing hierarchical structure concepts in the Analytic Hierarchy Process. Then, an algorithm was presented to design multi-level structure of problems elements and give weights to them using the proposed giving weight model, four properties of the desirable practical structure, and Consistency Ratio Thresholds. A four-level hierarchical structure including 50 identified performance evaluation elements of SBSC model was presented using the proposed algorithm for giving structure and weight to performance evaluation SBSC elements in Iranian thermal power plants according to green and sustainable production. Finally, by considering the elements used in the resulting structure, a suitable indicators list of Iranian thermal power plants according to green and sustainable production was derived. The findings indicate the suitability of the proposed algorithm.
- Abbasi, M., & Dehghani, M R. (2022). Determining and Estimating the Weights of Best-Worst Method Criteria through Solving Linear Programming or Mixed Integer Linear Programming Models. Journal of New Researches in Mathematics. Article in press. )In Persian (
- Ahmed, W., & Sarkar, B. (2018). Impact of carbon emissions in a sustainable supply chain management for a second generation biofuel. Journal of Cleaner Production, 186, 807-820.
- Asgharpour, M J. (2019). Multiple Criteria Decision Making. University of Tehran Press, Seventeenth edition. )In Persian(
- Atmaca, E., & Basar, H. B. (2012). Evaluation of power plants in Turkey using Analytic Network Process (ANP). Energy, 44(1), 555-563.
- Azar, A., & Rajabzadeh, A. (2017). Applied Decision Making: Multiple Attribute Decision Making (MADM). Negahe Danesh Publication, Seventh edition.)In Persian(
- Bahrololoum M M, & Bakhtiar S. (2020). Comparative Analysis of Financing Methods in Thermal Power Plants in Iran. Quarterly Journal of Energy Policy and Planning Research, 6(3), 221-250. (In Persian(
- Chatzimouratidis, A. I., & Pilavachi, P. A. (2012). Decision support systems for power plants impact on the living standard. Energy conversion and management, 64, 182-198.
- Cohen, N., & Arieli, T. (2011). Field research in conflict environments: Methodological challenges and snowball sampling. Journal of Peace Research, 48(4), 423-435.
- Dehghani, M R., & Abbasi, M. (2021). Performance Evaluation of Thermal Power Generation Companies using Integrated Proposed Trustable BWM Algorithm and BSC Model (A Real Case Study). Iranian Electric Industry Journal of Quality and Productivity, 10 (4), 64-72. )In Persian (
- Dehghani, M R., & Abbasi, M. (2021). Estimating the Solution of the Best-Worst Method Non-Linear Programming Model by solving the Mixed Integer Linear Programming Model Solutions. Journal of New Researches in Mathematics. Article in press. )In Persian (
- Dizaji, M., Mazdeh, M., and Makui, A. (2018). Performance evaluation and ranking of direct sales stores using BSC approach and fuzzy multiple attribute decision-making methods. Decision Science Letters, 7(2), 197-210.
- Dwivedi, R., & Chakraborty, S. (2016). Development of a strategic management tool in a thermal power plant using ABC and BSC models. Serbian Journal of Management, 11(1), 81-97.
- Dwivedi, R., Prasad, K., Mandal, N., Singh, S., Vardhan, M., & Pamucar, D. (2021). Performance evaluation of an insurance company using an integrated Balanced Scorecard (BSC) and Best-Worst Method (BWM). Decision Making: Applications in Management and Engineering, 4(1), 33-50.
- Eshikumo, S. M., & Odock, S. O. (2017). Green manufacturing and operational performance of a firm: Case of cement manufacturing in Kenya. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 8(4), 106-120.
- Esmaelian, M., Khalili, A., & Tavakoli, M. (2020). Proposing a Method for Determining the Appropriate Purchasing Strategy Based on the Purchasing Portfolio Approach. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 10 (2), 55-82. )In Persian(
- Figge, F., Hahn, T., Schaltegger, S., & Wagner, M. (2002). The sustainability balanced scorecard–linking sustainability management to business strategy. Business strategy and the Environment, 11(5), 269-284.
- Guo, Y., Yu, Z., & Feng, L. (2009). Implementation of BSC Performance Evaluation System in Power Generation Enterprises. In 2009 International Conference on Management and Service Science, 1-5. IEEE
- Hristov, I., Chirico, A., & Appolloni, A. (2019). Sustainability value creation, survival, and growth of the company: A critical perspective in the Sustainability Balanced Scorecard (SBSC). Sustainability, 11(7),
- Jafarnezhad Chaghooshi, A., Kazemi, A., & Arab, A. (2016). Identification and Prioritization of Supplier’s Resiliency Evaluation Criteria Based on BWM. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 6(3), 159-186. (In Persian(
- Jahanagoshai, R. M., Moini, A., & Bakhshour, F. (2015) An Integrated Approach for Measuring Performance of Network structure: Case study on power plants. International Journal of Industrial Engineering & Production Research, 26(4), 255-268.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (1996). Using the Balanced Scorecard as a Strategic Management System. Harvard Business Review, 74(1), 75- 85.
- Khan, S., Haleem, A., & Khan, M. I. (2021). Assessment of risk in the management of Halal supply chain using fuzzy BWM method. In Supply Chain Forum: An International Journal, 22(1), 57-73.
- Li, Y. (2021). Evaluation of Backfill Operation Models Using SBSC and IFAHP Approach. Advances in Civil Engineering.
- Liang, F., Brunelli, M., & Rezaei, J. (2020). Consistency issues in the best worst method: Measurements and thresholds. Omega, 96, 1-11.
- Lovarelli, D., Bacenetti, J., & Guarino, M. (2020). A review on dairy cattle farming: Is precision livestock farming the compromise for an environmental, economic and social sustainable production?. Journal of Cleaner Production, 262, 121409.
- Lu, M. T., Hsu, C. C., Liou, J. J., & Lo, H. W. (2018). A hybrid MCDM and sustainability-balanced scorecard model to establish sustainable performance evaluation for international airports. Journal of Air Transport Management, 71, 9-19.
- Mi, X., Tang, M., Liao, H., Shen, W., & Lev, B. (2019). The state-of-the-art survey on integrations and applications of the best worst method in decision making: Why, what, what for and what's next?. Omega, 87, 205-225.
- Mishra, U., Wu, J. Z., & Sarkar, B. (2020). A sustainable production-inventory model for a controllable carbon emissions rate under shortages. Journal of Cleaner Production, 256,
- Nikkhah, M., Nikkhah, A., & Afsahi, A. (2017). Evaluating the Implementation of Strategies in Plants Using Balanced Scorecard (BSC): A Case Study. International Journal of Research in Industrial Engineering, 6(1), 39-50.
- Nispeling, T. (2015). Multi-Criteria Supplier Selection in the Edible Oil Industry: The Case of a New Oils & Fats Plant in China.
- Özcüre, G., Demirkaya, H., & Eryiğit, N. (2015). Is it Possible to be a Sustainable Energy Company in Turkey? A Case Study of OMV's Thermal Electric Power Plant in Samsun. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 181, 97-106.
- Rezaei, J. (2015). Best-worst multi-criteria decision-making method. Omega, 53, 49-57.
- Rezaei, J. (2016) Best-worst multi-criteria decision-making method: Some properties and a linear model. Omega, 64, 126-130.
- Rezaei, J., Kothadiya, O., Tavasszy, L., & Kroesen, M. (2018). Quality assessment of airline baggage handling systems using SERVQUAL and BWM. Tourism Management, 66, 85-93.
- Roldán, M. C., Martínez, M., & Peña, R. (2014). Scenarios for a hierarchical assessment of the global sustainability of electric power plants in México. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 33, 154-160.
- Saaty, T. L. (1990). Decision making for leaders: the analytic hierarchy process for decisions in a complex world. RWS publications.
- Sadeghi Darvazeh, S., Shoul, A., & Rasouli, N. (2019). A Hybrid Approach to Asses Contributing Factors in Supply Chain Competitiveness in Rubber Industry. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(4), 185-212. (In Persian(
- Saeedi, M., Karbasi, A., Tika, S., & Samadi, R. (2006). Environmental Management of Power Plants: Ministry of Energy- Iran Energy Productivity Organization (SABA). )In Persian (
- Salimi, N., & Rezaei, J. (2018). Evaluating firms’ R&D performance using best worst method. Evaluation and program planning, 66, 147-155.
- Sanjaranipour, N., Atabi, F., Momeni, M., Ghodousi, J., & Lahijanian, A. A. M. (2018). Identification of Effective Components for Increasing the Sustainable Efficiency of Thermal Power Plants (with emphasis on Air Pollution) Using the SBSC Technique. Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution, 15(4), 57-68.
- (2021). Detailed Statistics of Iran's Electricity Industry for Strategic Management in 1399. Tehran. Tavanir Specialized holding Company.)In Persian(
- Tiwari, S., Ahmed, W., & Sarkar, B. (2018). Multi-item sustainable green production system under trade-credit and partial backordering. Journal of Cleaner Production, 204, 82-95.
- Veleva, V., Hart, M., Greiner, T., & Crumbley, C. (2001). Indicators of sustainable production. Journal of Cleaner Production, 9(5), 447-452.
- Xu, X., & Jiao, J. (2019). The Building and Application of Environmental Performance Evaluation System of Y Electricity Generation Enterprise Based on Balanced Scorecard. In 2nd International Seminar on Education Research and Social Science, 290-293. Atlantis Press.
- Zarte, M., Pechmann, A., & Nunes, I. L. (2019). Indicator framework for sustainable production planning and controlling. International Journal of Sustainable Engineering, 12(3), 149-158.
- Zhao, H., & Li, N. (2015). Evaluating the performance of thermal power enterprises using sustainability balanced scorecard, fuzzy Delphic and hybrid multi-criteria decision making approaches for sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 108, 569-582.