Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D., Tehran University.
Professor, Tehran University.
Strategic planning is necessary for success and creating competitive advantage in a complex and dynamic environment of today's organizations. Balanced Scorecard is a relatively new tool for planning strategies and implementing strategy. One of the main stages related to the Balanced Scorecard deployment in organizations or companies, is prioritization of strategic objectives in the strategy map. In this paper, prioritized strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the organization are considered as criteria for evaluating strategic goals. There are different approaches for strategic objective prioritization. In this paper, strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats were considered as criteria of a decision matrix. Then Fuzzy Technique for Ordering Preferences Similarity to Ideal Solution (TOPSIS) technique, one of the best techniques in Multi-Criteria Decision Making, was used for prioritization of strategic objectives. Using Fuzzy TOPSIS needs to weight of criteria. According to the internal relationships between strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats, Analytical Network Process (ANP) was used to weight them. Finally, a case study is provided to illustrate the effectiveness of the proposed method.
- Asadpour, , Pooya, A., Motahhari Farimani, N. (2017). R Designing a Dynamic Model of Balanced Scorecard for Evaluating the Performance of Bank Branches. Journal of Industrial management perspective, 7(4), 163-197. (In Persian)
- Cebeci, U. (2009). Fuzzy AHP-based decision support system for selecting ERP systems in textile industry by using balanced scorecard. Expert Systems with Applications, 36(5), 8900–8909.
- Cheng, C.-H., & Lin, Y. (2002). Evaluating the best main battle tank using fuzzy decision theory with linguistic criteria evaluation. European Journal of Operational Research, 142(1), 174–186.
- Clinton, D., Webber, S. A., & Hassel, J. M. (2002). Implementing the balanced scorecard using the analytic hierarchy process.
- Dehghani, M., Bohrani, R., & Sokhokian, M. (2010). Quantitative Analysis of SWOT using DEMATEL. 7th International Industrial Engineering Conference.
- Dodangeh, J., Jassbi, J., Mousakhani, M., & Anisseh, M. (2008). Priority of strategic plans in BSC model by using of Group Decision Making Model. In 2008 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (pp. 471–475). IEEE.
- Farokhi, S., & Roghanian, E. (2018). Determining quantitative targets for performance measures in the balanced scorecard method using response surface methodology. Management Decision. 56 (9), 2006-2037.
- Fouladgar, M. M., Yazdani-Chamzini, A., & Zavadskas, E. K. (2011). An integrated model for prioritizing strategies of the iranian mining sector: Irano kasybos sektoriaus strategijų prioriteto nustatymo integruotas modelis. Technological and Economic Development of Economy, 17(3), 459–483.
- Hsu, C.-W., Hu, A. H., Chiou, C.-Y., & Chen, T.-C. (2011). Using the FDM and ANP to construct a sustainability balanced scorecard for the semiconductor industry. Expert Systems with Applications, 38(10), 12891–12899.
- Huang, H.-C., Lai, M.-C., & Lin, L.-H. (2011). Developing strategic measurement and improvement for the biopharmaceutical firm: Using the BSC hierarchy. Expert Systems with Applications, 38(5), 4875–4881.
- Jahantigh, F. F., Malmir, B., & Avilaq, B. A. (2018). An integrated approach for prioritizing the strategic objectives of balanced scorecard under uncertainty. Neural Computing and Applications, 29(6), 227–236.
- Kahraman, C., Demirel, N. Ç., Demirel, T., & Ateş, N. Y. (2008). A SWOT-AHP application using fuzzy concept: e-government in Turkey. In Fuzzy multi-criteria decision making (pp. 85–117). Springer.
- Khanmohammadi, E., Malmir, B., Safari, H., & Zandieh, M. (2019). A new approach to strategic objectives ranking based on fuzzy logarithmic least squares method and fuzzy similarity technique. Operations Research Perspectives, 6, 100122.
- Kurttila, M., Pesonen, M., Kangas, J., & Kajanus, M. (2000). Utilizing the analytic hierarchy process (AHP) in SWOT analysis—a hybrid method and its application to a forest-certification case. Forest Policy and Economics, 1(1), 41–52.
- Lee, A. H. I., Chen, W.-C., & Chang, C.-J. (2008). A fuzzy AHP and BSC approach for evaluating performance of IT department in the manufacturing industry in Taiwan. Expert Systems with Applications, 34(1), 96–107.
- Lee, S. F., Lo, K. K., Leung, R. F., & Ko, A. S. O. (2000). Strategy formulation framework for vocational education: integrating SWOT analysis, balanced scorecard, QFD methodology and MBNQA education criteria. Managerial Auditing Journal, 15(8), 407-423.
- Leung, L. C., Lam, K. C., & Cao, D. (2006). Implementing the balanced scorecard using the analytic hierarchy process & the analytic network process. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 57(6), 682–691.
- McAdam, R., & O’Neill, E. (1999). Taking a critical perspective to the European Business Excellence Model using a balanced scorecard approach: a case study in the service sector. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 9(3), 191–197.
- Moghbel Baarz, A., Azar, A., Taghavi, A. Nahavandi, B. (2013). Representing a Methodology for Refinement of Strategic Objectives in Strategy Map Establishment: Combining Quality Function Deployment and Fuzzy Screening. Journal of Industrial management perspective, 3(3), 9-38. (In Persian)
- Nahavandi, B., Moghbel Baarz, A., Azar, A. (2014). Representing a Step-by-Step Approach for Simulating Strategy Map using Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. Journal of Industrial management perspective, 4(2), 93-115. (In Persian)
- Pérez, C. Á., Montequín, V. R., Fernández, F. O., & Balsera, J. V. (2017). Integration of Balanced Scorecard (BSC), Strategy Map, and Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process (FAHP) for a Sustainability Business Framework: A Case Study of a Spanish Software Factory in the Financial Sector. Sustainability, 9(4), 527.
- Searcy, D. L. (2004). Aligning the balanced scorecard and a firm’s strategy using the analytic hierarchy process. Management Accounting Quarterly, 5(4), 1-10.
- Yüksel, İ., & Dagdeviren, M. (2007). Using the analytic network process (ANP) in a SWOT analysis–A case study for a textile firm. Information Sciences, 177(16), 3364–3382.