Document Type : Original Article
Professor, University of Tehran.
Associate Professor, University of Tehran.
Assistant Professor, University of Tehran.
Ph.D Student, University of Tehran.
Long-term delays to complete residential units, due to lack of adequate and punctual financing, is considered as a developer's problem, in the process of housing production. In this regard, the present study, with the consideration of the challenges that obstacle the efficient pre-sale of residential units, aims to determine the pre-sale policies of housing by providing a model based on the system dynamics approach in order to provide sufficient and punctual financial resources, reduce delays in completion, reduce opportunity cost and to achieve a balance between developers’ and buyers’ profit. After making a dynamic model and validating it, 48 scenarios consisting of the states of five lever variables were simulated and after analyzing the results, improvement policies which include four alternatives were extracted. The results indicate that to produce the residential units with average prices, whether the percentage offered of area for initial pre-sale is 0/3, the initial pre-sale discount coefficient relative to the price of the completed unit is 0/06 and the down payment coefficient is 0/3, from which the mentioned variables will lead to a significant reduction in completion delays and opportunity cost, and also will balance the profit of both developers and buyers.
- Alvani, M., Azar, A.,& Danayifard, H.. (2007). Qualitative research methodology in Management: A comprehensive approach Tehran. Saffar. (in Persian)
- Andreas Fuster, B. Z. (2016). To Buy or Not to Buy: Consumer Constraints. American Economic Review, 106(5), 636-640.
- Ariffin, N., && Ramli, N. (2018). The Study on Cause and Effect of Abandoned Housing Project in Selangor. 14th International Conference on Concrete Engineering and Technology (1-7). IOP.
- Bastan, M., & Shakouri Ganjavi, H. (2019). Model-Based Assessment of Energy Dependency Policies: A System Dynamics Approach, 9(2), 81-106.
- Bulan, L., & Mayer, C. (2009). Irreversible investment, real options, and competition: Evidence from real estate development. Journal of Urban Economics, 65(3), 237-251.
- Chan, S., Fang, F., & Yang, J. (2008). Presales, Financing Constraints, and Developers’ Production Decisions. Journal of Real Estate Research, 30(3), 345-375.
- Chegini, A., & Ahmadi, K. (2015). Successful experiences of Housing financing system in South Korea Housing Economic, 50(2), 21-44. (In Persian)
- Chin‐Oh Chang, C. W. (2007). Forward pricing and the housing market: the pre-sales housing system in Taiwan. Journal of Property Research, 10(3), 217-227.
- Gimpelevich, D. (2011). Simulation-based excess return model for real estate development: A practical Monte Carlo simulation-based method for quantitative risk management and project valuation for real estate development projects illustrated with a high-rise office development. Journal of Property Investment & Finance, 29(2), 115-144.
- Hou, W., Liu, X., & Chen, D. (2011). Payment Problems, Cash Flow and Profitability of Construction Project: A System Dynamics Model. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 5(10).
- Hwang, S., Park, M., Lee, H.-S., Lee, S., & Kim, H. (2013). Dynamic Feasibility Analysis of the Housing Supply Strategies in a Recession: Korean Housing Market. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management,139(2), 148-160.
- Hoseinzadeh, M., & Mehregan, M. (2017). Theoretical foundations of Operation Research. Tehran: Ketabedaneshgahi. (in Persian)
- Jin Choi, H. R. (2010). Fair Value and Risk Profile for Presale Contracts of Condominiums. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 44(1), 472-504.
- Juan, Y.-K., Lin, I.-C., & Tsai, J.-X. (2019). A hybrid approach to optimize initial design strategies for pre-sale housing projects. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 26(3), 515-534.
- Kwouna, M.-J., Lee, S.-H., Kim, J.-H. & Kim, J.-J. (2013). Dynamic cycles of unsold new housing stocks, investment in housing, and housing supply–demand. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 57(9-10), 2094-2105.
- Li, L., &Chau, K. W. (2018)). What Motivates a Developer to Sell before Completion? The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 59(2).
- Li, L., Helen, X. Bao, H., & Chau, K.W. (2018). On the Strategic Timing of Sales by Real Estate Developers: To Wait or To Presale?
- Mashayekhi, A. (2019). Dynamics of systems. Tehran: Ariyana Ghalam. (In Persian)
- Masram, H., & Misnan, S .(2019). Evolution Of Policy For Affordable Housing Programmes In Malaysia. International Journal of Accounting, Finance and Business (IJAFB), 4(17), 86-98.
- Mohaghar, A., Petroudi, H. H., & Talayi, H. (2017). Dynamic Modeling of a New Product Supply Chain using System Dynamics Approach (in Persian). The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 6(4), 9-36.
- Mohaghar, A., Sadeghimoghaddam, M., & Soltaniyantalkabadi, H. (2016). PricingPolicy Analysis of Petrochemical Feed-Stock through Dynamic Systems Approach. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 5(4), 59-78. (in Persian)
- Neng Lai, R., Wang, K. & Zhou, Y .(2004). Sale before Completion of Development - Pricing and Strategy. Real Estate Economics, 32(2), 329-357.
- Nguyen, N.H.,, & Chinda,T. (2018). A Dynamic Model Of Profit Of Residential Projects In Vietnam. International Journal of Strategic Property Management, 22(6), 489-500.
- Olayinka C. & Oloke, A. S. (2017). Problems and Prospects of Forward Sale in the Nigerian Housing Market: A Critique of Policy and Modus Operandi. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(2), 898-913.
- Edelstein, P. Liu, F. Wu, P. (2012) .The Market for Real Estate Presales: A Theoretical Approach. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics. 45(1), 30-48
- Rabieh, M., Salari, H., Karami, M., & Ziyayi, M. (2017). Causal Loop Model for Problem of Traffic Accident: The System Dynamics Approach. The Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 7(1), 115-143. (In Persian)
- Rozlin, Z. (2018). Price Prediction Model of Demand and Supply in the Housing Market. MATEC Web of Conferences.
- Sterman, J. D. (2000). Business Dynamics Systems Thinking and Modeling for a Complex World. Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Wang, Y., Tang, W., & Jia, S.-h. (2016). Uncertainty, competition and timing of land development: Theory and empirical evidence from Hangzhou, China. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 53(2), 218-245.
- Zayyanu, M., & Foziah, J. (2018). Critical success factors of public–private partnership projects: a comparative analysis of the housing sector between Malaysia and Nigeria. International Journal of Construction Management, 19(16), 1-13.