Document Type : Original Article
Assistant Professor, University of Tehran.
Professor, University of Tehran.
Ph.D Candidate, Kish International Campus, University of Tehran.
The supply of rotating equipment for the oil industry poses a serious risk to the sustainable production of the products due to equipment wear, high costs, and high downtime. In this research, a systematic intervention is done in the system of sustainable supply of rotating equipment spare-parts in the oil industry as to the Abadan Oil Refinery National Company’s data, applying a combined approach of System Dynamics (SD) and Strategic Assumptions Surfacing and Testing (SAST), and the agreed solutions are extracted as: 1) economic sustainability, namely oil industry investment in spare-parts’ manufacturing industry, reforming the repair-maintenance contracts, and monitoring the process of designing and manufacturing the spare-parts, 2) social sustainability, say, amending the law on supply tenders, transferring the experience among the spare parts’ manufacturers and the oil industry specialists, and increasing the user training and safety training, and 3) environmental sustainability, including decommissioning worn-out equipment and replacing with green equipment, observing the safety and environmental standards, and reviewing the preventive predictive maintenance program. The results show that the sustainable supply of spare-parts will improve by combining the three strategies of economic, social and environmental sustainability, accompanied by government support of the spare-parts’ manufacturing industry and local specialists’ training plans.
- Akhanova, G., Nadeem, , Jong R. Kim, & Azhar, S., A. (2020). Multi-criteria decision-making framework for building sustainability assessment in Kazakhstan, Sustainable Cities and Society, 52, 101842.
- Barabadi, A., Ghodrati, B., Barabady, J., Markeset, T. (2012). Reliability and spare parts estimation taking into consideration the operational environment – A case study. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM). 1924 - 1929.
- Barabadi, A., Barabady, J., & Markeset, T. (2014). Application of reliability models with covariates in spare part prediction and optimization – A case study. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, 123, 1–7.
- Coenen, J., van der Heijden, R. E. C. M., & van Riel, A. C. R. (2018). Understanding approaches to complexity and uncertainty in closed-loop supply chain management: Past findings and future directions. Journal of Cleaner Production, 201, 1–13.
- Florescu, M. S., Ceptureanu, E. G., Cruceru, A. F., & Ceptureanu, S. I. (2019). Sustainable Supply Chain Management Strategy Influence on Supply Chain Management Functions in the Oil and Gas Distribution Industry. Energies, 12(9),
- Gardas, B., Raut, D,. Narkhede,, (2015). Modelling the challenges to sustainability in the textile and apparel (T&A) sector: A Delphi-DEMATEL approach. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 15, 96-108.
- Gardas, B. B., Raut, R. D., & Narkhede, B. (2019). Determinants of sustainable supply chain management: A case study from the oil and gas supply chain. Sustainable Production and Consumption, 17, 241–253.
- Gary Linnéusson, Amos H. C. Ng & Tehseen Aslam(2018). Quantitative analysis of a conceptual system dynamics maintenance performance model using multi-objective optimisation,Journal of Simulation, 12(2),171-189,
- Gary, L., Amos, N. H., & Tehseen, A. (2018). Towards strategic development of maintenance and its effects on production performance by using system dynamics in the automotive industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 200, 151-169.
- Hassan, J., Khan, F., & Hasan, M. (2012). A risk‐based approach to manage non‐repairable spare parts inventory. Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 18(3), 344–
- Health, Safety, Environment and Passive Defense Performance Report of National Company for Refining and Distribution of Petroleum Products, 2016. (In Persian)
- Mohammadi, A., Alem Tabriz, A., Pishvaee, M. (2018). Proposing Model for Master Planning of Sustainable Supply Chain with Considering Integration of Physical and Financial Flow. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(1), 39-62. (In Persian)
- International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association (IPIECA), (2015). Oil and gas industry guidance on voluntary sustainability reporting. Retrived from http://www.ipieca.org/ resources /good-practice/oil-and-gas-industry-guidance-on-voluntary-sustainability-reporting-3rd-edition/.
- (2003). Systems thinking: creative holism for managers. John Wiley
- Linnéusson, G., Ng, A. H. C., & Aslam, T. (2018). Quantitative analysis of a conceptual system dynamics maintenance performance model using multi-objective optimisation. Journal of Simulation, 12(2), 171–189.
- Linnéusson, G. (2018). Towards strategic development of maintenance and its effects on production performance: A hybrid simulation-based optimization framework (Doctoral dissertation, University of Skövde).
- Mehdikhani, R. and Valmohammadi, C. (2019). Strategic collaboration and sustainable supply chain management: The mediating role of internal and external knowledge sharing. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 32(5), 778-806.
- Mehregan, M. R., Hashemi, S. H., Karimi, A., & Merikhi, B. (2014). Analysis of interactions among sustainability supplier selection criteria using ISM and fuzzy DEMATEL. International Journal of Applied Decision Sciences, 7(3), 270-294.
-  Mehregan, M.R. & Hosseinzadeh, M. (2016). Theoretical foundations of operations research. University Book Publishing, Tehran, first edition 2017, 496 p. (In Persian).
- Moloudi, R., Seyed Boyer, S., & Ghim, H. (2020(. Presenting a Model to Improve the Time of Maintenance and Repair Projects (Case Study: Abadan Oil Refining Company). The First International Conference on Challenges and New Solutions in Industrial Engineering and Management and Accounting. (In Persian)
- Nadizadeh, A., Ranjbar, H., Moubed, M. (2020). Periodic Inspection Optimization for a Two-Component System with Dependent Failures. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 10(2), 83-110. (In Persian)
- Petroleum Industry Research Institute, Environmental Campus News Archive, published on November 16, 2015, available from ripi.ir/index.php/newss/81-energy-news/1167-mr-arabi
- Prasad, D.S., Pradhan, R.P., Gaurav, K. et al. (2018). Analysing the critical success factors for implementation of sustainable supply chain management: an Indian case study. Decision, 45, 3–25.
- Poles, R. (2013). System Dynamics modelling of a production and inventory system for remanufacturing to evaluate system improvement strategies. International Journal of Production Economics, 144(1), 189–199.
- Raut, R. D., Narkhede, B., & Gardas, B. B. (2017). To identify the critical success factors of sustainable supply chain management practices in the context of oil and gas industries: ISM approach. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 68, 33–47.
- Rebs, T., Brandenburg, M., & Seuring, S. (2019). System dynamics modeling for sustainable supply chain management: A literature review and systems thinking approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, 208, 1265–1280.
- Samadi Foroushani, M. & Hosseinzadeh, M. )2020(. Combining Strategic Assumption Revealing System Dynamics (SASD) Multi-paradigm system intervention framework in solving complex problems. 13th International Conference of Iranian Operations Research Society, Shahroud University of Technology. (In Persian)
- Sherafat, A., Mohaghar, A., Karimi, F., Davoodi, S. (2018). Designing the Mechanism for Choosing the Appropriate Maintenance Strategy. Journal of Industrial Management Perspective, 8(2), 31-69. (In Persian)
- Sterman, J. (2000). Business Dynamics: Systems Thinking and Modeling for a complex word. Boston: Permission of the McGraw-Hill companies.
- Strategic system for managing the physical assets of the oil industry, (2014). https://portal.nioc.ir/RDMS/Forms/DocumentsSearch.aspx?TypeID. (In Persian)
- Song, M., Cui, X., Wang, (2019) Simulation of land green supply chain based on system dynamics and policy optimization. International Journal of Production Economics, 217, 317-327.
- Tian, J., & Zhao, T. (2009). System dynamics in supply support of spare parts. 2009 8th International Conference on Reliability, Maintainability and Safety, 594–599.
- Torabi, S. A. & Sharafat, M. R. (2013). Designing a Sustainable Supply Chain Network for the Oil Industry under Uncertainty, 10th International Conference on Industrial Engineering, (In Persian)
- Vivas, R., Sant, A., Esquerre, K., Freires, F. (2020). Integrated method combining analytical & mathematical models for evaluation and optimization of sustainable supply chains: A Brazilian case study. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 139,